Thứ Bảy, 16 tháng 2, 2013

all the better for/none the better for/much the worse for/none the worse for


Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the general meaning of the word combination “all the better for” in the following excerpt of the W.Somerset Maugham’s “Mr. Know-all”.

“When I went on board I found Mr. Kelada's luggage already below. I did not like the look of it; there were too many labels on the suitcases, and the wardrobe trunk was too big. He had unpacked his toilet things, and I observed that he was a patron of the excellent Monsieur Coty; for I saw on the washing-stand his scent, his hairwash and his brilliantine.
Mr. Kelada's brushes, ebony with his monogram in gold, would have been all the better for a scrub. I did not at all like Mr. Kelada. I made my way into the smoking-room. I called for a pack of cards and began to play patience”.
I know the meaning of the idiom “all better” namely “completely healed or cured” so in the present context “Mr. Kelada’s brushes weren’t distinguished for their cleanness. "all the better for something" = will be much improved by doing something" [in this case, being washed!]

May you paraphrase the following sentences?
The floor will be all the better for a scrub.
He seems none the better for the treatment. No = none the worse for the treatment OR doesn't seem any better for the treatment.
His coat is much the worse for wear.
You will be none the worse for a good sleep.
Thank you for your efforts.

wait on someone hand and foot

Fig. to serve someone very well, attending to all personal needs.
Eg: 
1) I don't mind bringing you your coffee, but I don't intend to wait on you hand and foot. I don't want anyone to wait on me hand and foot. I can take care of myself.
2) You are busy being waited hand and foot by your moom (passive)
 

Không có nhận xét nào: